Small Urban Regeneration Project of
22 Flats and 600 sq. m. of Retail/Commercial

A Repair to the Fabric of the City

An integrated development on a brown field City Centre Site linking new build infill and conversion of a section of the listed former Castle Flour Mill, with minimal intrusion works to two historic courtyards.

In the design development and historic analysis it was recognised that Exchange Street had established character. The massing and choice of materials flowed from this.

Regard was paid to the scale of the former warehouse buildings which occupied the site, and to differences in the properties to either side. The relationship between the building in terms of vertical and horizontal emphasis height and colour were respected. Towers of differing heights were placed at each end to create a transition from old to new, and a change in material was introduced to reflect the massing of the former warehouse buildings.

Central corner towers were created to either side of a fought for opening to frame the splendour of the elaborate apse of Sir George Gilbert Scott’s 1853 Category A Listed St Paul’s Cathedral.