Airlie Church is a category ‘B’ listed building in Kirkton of Airlie, Angus. The church dates to 1783 although some earlier buildings are associated with the site as long ago as 1242. Renovations were carried out in the late 19th century including pitch pine panelling and the church pews.
These proposals redesign the interior of the building to form a 2 bedroom house. The impressive scale of the main space is retained to take advantage of the incredible natural light. This area forms the heart of the building with living room and kitchen. Bedrooms are situated on the upper floors, each accessed by an individual stair at the west and east wings.
It was essential to work with the building interior and retain the quality of the hall space with any interventions designed as minimal and complimentary to the original building interior.